St John’s School was opened in 1948 by the Sisters of Mercy. The majority of original students were from European migrant families living in the local area. Most of the school was built by voluntary labour.
In 1950, the Dominican Sisters from Dongara took over responsibility for the parish school and Sr Mary Albertus O.P. was the first Superior.
Enrolment peaked in 1958 with small numbers going on to Junior and Leaving Certificate (Years 10 and 12). Prior to 1983, boys transferred to other schools after Year 3. 1958 also saw the employment of the first lay teacher.
The first lay principal was appointed in 1981 when the Dominican Sisters relinquished control of the school.
Enrolments declined in later years due to the aging population of Scarborough and the many new schools that opened in the northern suburbs.
School facilities have been upgraded constantly due to a very proactive and involved School Board and educational funds have been wisely allocated to improve student learning outcomes.
The school’s crest has been adapted from the original black and white fleur-de-lis cross fitted into a shield and was worn as a badge on the uniform in earlier years.
The shape – in the form of a shield – refers to the defence of the Church’s teaching which St Dominic fought for during his life; to restore the faith to a world ravaged by heresy. He was ready to defend the truth at all times.
The school motto, VERITAS, meaning truth, which appears on the scroll under the shield, summarises the whole ideal of the Dominican Sisters.
St John the Evangelist
Patron Saint of our School
The symbol of our patron saint, John, is the Eagle. This reminds us of the fact that St John took the teachings of Jesus to a new level of understanding.
He began his adult life as a fisherman in Galilee and was the youngest of all the apostles. He had a special relationship with Jesus and it was St John who rested his head on the breast of Jesus at the Last Supper. St John was also the only apostle at the foot of the Cross when Jesus died. The dying Jesus gave the care of his Mother Mary to John.
John was a prolific writer and wrote one of the four gospels, the Book of Revelations and three letters to Christians under his care.
All his life St John taught Christians to love one another. When he had grown so old and weak that he had to be carried to the celebration of the Eucharist, St John used to say to his people over and over again, “My little children, love one another.” When asked why he said the same thing over and over again, St John answered, “Because it is the word of the Lord, and if you keep it you will be doing enough.”
St John’s School, as part of the Catholic faith community, strives to provide a caring, compassionate and supportive environment, where each person is valued and encouraged to develop to his/her full potential.